During the planning, teaching and organisation of mathematics we aim to:
Develop numerate children who can:
- Have a sense of the size of a number and where it fits into the number system
- Know by heart number facts (number bonds, times tables, doubles and halves)
- Use what they know by heart to figure out answers mentally
- Calculate accurately, both mentally and with pencil and paper, drawing on a range of calculation strategies
- Make sense of number problems, including non routine problems and recognise the operations needed to solve them
- Have strategies for checking their answers to judge whether they are reasonable
- Explain their methods and reasoning using correct mathematical terms
- Suggest suitable units for measuring, and make sensible estimates
- Explain and make predictions from the numbers in graphs, charts and tables
- Take pleasure in solving problems, puzzles and "real-life" mathematical activities
To achieve this we will provide a wide and varied curriculum in mathematics, showing differentiation in pace and method of delivery in such a way as to make the whole content accessible to each child.
All lessons broadly follow the guidelines of the 2014 Primary Mathematics Curriculum.
All children will be entitled to a daily lesson devoted to mathematics.
Most lessons will follow a similar pattern:
Whole class work
- Individual or group work
- Plenary session
Please Click on the link below to see our school's Mathematics policy.